There was once a piano. A piano that was bruised, battered and worn out. No one would even take a second glance at the ugly thing that sat behind the windowsill because of all its scars.
Why would anyone want it? Did it even matter that it was once polished, shiny? That once in its life, it was also brand new, waiting for the magic that it could have unleashed for its users? No. No one wanted it after had been broken. It had no use, no value.
There it sat. Quietly hoping for that one special person to give it one more chance. But days turn into months which turned into years and as the years go by, layers of dust covered the once glorious ebony and ivory keys. It was desperate, knowing that its end was drawing near if no one were to buy it.
The value dropped, but even then, no one bothered. The repairs would cost too much. It was too ugly and probably didn't even sound right. Those were the whispers you would hear as people pass that window.
One day, an old man walked into the shop. That tinkling bell was a sound of hope for the old, abandoned items. But the elderly man only wanted one thing. There, he pointed at the piano, that's the thing I want. He held out what few dollar notes that he had and shrugged. This is all I have left. I am dying, my house is empty, I need something to occupy my time.
The shopkeeper was glad to finally get rid of that thing that wasted so much space that he took whatever the man had and prepared to transfer it to his home.
No, just leave it outside by the alley, he said. The indifferent shopkeeper did what the man said and bid him farewell.
The piano, disappointed that its life was going to end as a victim to cruel weather, was resigned to its fate. However, the old man took off his frayed jacket and started wiping down the piano. Tenderly, he wiped every last key and ran his callused fingers across the scratches.
By then, people were gathering around to see what was happening. The old man noticed the crowd growing immensely. One brave little girl, restrained by her terrified mother asked quietly, what are you doing sir? The man gave a small smile and told her that everything would be revealed in a few minutes.
He looked around at the skeptics and cynics and gave a sad look. I am not crazy. I just feel that sometimes people, even things, need a second chance. No matter how ugly or scarred they are, they still tell a story.
Sighing, he placed his hand on the keys. He struck three keys and out came a beautiful chord.
Like this piano, I was once a man filled with shine and luster. Years were unkind and gave me diseases, scars and wrinkles. But as I grew older, I gained experience. But my children didn't see that. They didn't see the amount of work I had to accomplish to put food on their table. The time spent in loving them. They left me, because I am just like the broken piano.
But no matter how damaged I become, how scarred my body is, I still have my song. Nothing is going to beat me down, and one day, someone will look at me and say, this is the right man for the job. But I fear that my time is drawing near. But this piano has wonders that it has yet to share with the world.
At this point, he sat on the piano bench and started to play. Though some keys didn't sound quite right, the most beautiful song filled the air and the audience was mesmerized by the beauty that came out of the unlikely pair.
When he finished, everyone listening broke out into a standing ovation. The man smiled. He looked at the shopkeeper and told him that all that was needed was a bit of tender care. Take the money I have given you and care for it.
Before the shopkeeper could reply, a young man stepped forward. I would buy it for triple what the old man paid. Soon after, a bidding war was let loose and everyone was fighting for it.
The old man chuckled and said his farewell to the piano. You are the best present I ever had. Thank you for filling my life with music and sharing your song. His eyes brimmed with tears as he stared at the piano that pulled him through his parents' divorce. That pulled him through his rough life as a concert pianist. When he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. And when his children had sold everything, including his pride and joy, to pay for his medical fees.
With one last look, he said, "I don't have enough time in this world to show my wonders anymore, but my old friend, you finally have your second chance. Bring them the happiness and love you shared with me."
Adele Emily
2 comments:
This is a lot like "The Master's Touch". Very poetically written in an un-rhymey way.
nope don't see any similarity. but anyhow even if it it ever similar to any other story , just remember great minds think alike, Adele dear :)
Post a Comment