Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The first look

We were friends. Nothing more, nothing less. We used to talk briefly to each other, nothing more than a short sentence. But then all things change in one night.

We were having a study session. During our break, we talked. We were among friends, so our conversations revolved around the simplest of things. Our eyes met for that brief moment, I could have sworn that there was a little bit more - was it admiration? Or perhaps, like? - than the usual look behind those eyes. But at the blink of an eye, it was gone.

Soon, I saw you everywhere. You were texting me, calling me, hanging out. It was like you were my shadow, always watching over me. Then we decided to hang out by ourselves.

While we were talking, behind your eyes, something stirred. It was the same look. That look that was meant to be shared by two. The long to be with someone else, to share joy, pain, laughs and sadness. That longing that you want to share moments with that special someone.

We were talking, about the most simplest of things. But something else was there. You were listening intently, never leaving my gaze. We talked about the common things, the ones that don't delve deep into anything, but something else was there. You held my hand, interlaced your fingers between mine. Our eyes met when you made the hesitant move to hold my hand. Your eyes told me that this was right. That the first time you actually looked at me, I saw the truth.

We soon talked about more personal things, like my pain and deepest hurt. The true person behind my mask. Without control, tears slipped from the corner of my eye as soon as we hit a nerve. But the pain wasn't that gut-wrenching as it was supposed to be. Maybe it was because your hands held tightly to mine, making me feel secure. Maybe it was you, being next to me, making me feel protected. Or maybe it was your eyes, assuring me that I was accepted and loved.

As the tear ran down my cheek, you brushed it away gently. Without warning, your lips replaced where the tear was. It was brief and soft, and you moved away. You looked at me again, and nervously asked me, "Do you want it?"

I didn't answer you. All throughout that time, your hands never left mine. You enclosed me, held me within your arms, hugging me, as I listened to your steady heartbeat increase. I looked up into those eyes which I grew accustomed to. Quietly, I asked you what did you mean, and you looked away, flustered.

You muttered softly, barely audible, still refusing to look into my eyes, saying that you wanted a kiss and asked me again.

Inside, I was soaring. But then it was my turn for the heat to surge to my cheeks, making me blush. Shyness took over and my voice was stuck in my throat. With all I could, I muttered with the same measure you did.

Yes...

No comments: